Monday, October 12, 2009

Craptacular Sunday

Welp... yesterday sucked.

My mood on Monday, this time of year, is typically prefaced on the following:

1. Pats Win/Loss
2. Fantasy Football teams Win/Loss
3. If applicable Red Sox playoffs
4. If applicable Yankees playoffs

1 - Gay
2 - Eh
3 - Gay
4 - Gay

1. Man Brady looked bad... REAL bad. Nonetheless while watching did anyone think, 'man they are gonna blow this.' I figured they would eek it out as always. The Broncos played like the Pats - making plays down the stretch. There are a bunch of things you could point to, Pats secondary, Gostowski FG miss, few shitty calls by the refs, but this one goes on #12.

I heard Tom Curran before the year say it's a joy to watch this team practice and that he didn't think they'd trail all year (obviously an exaggeration to the talent of Brady & Moss but you get the point). What that comment means to me though is that they look sharp in practice. Brady is hitting his guys and they look good. Since his regular season performance is saying otherwise you really have to conclude that he's not yet over his leg as far as stepping into throws and not fearing for something happening.

I, knock on wood, haven't had any type of injury really ever. No broken bones, no stiches, no torn ligaments, no surgeries so I really can't say a whole lot. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has and if it took them awhile to get over that mental hurdle. Feel free to comment on this if you have.

You'd have to think he'll get back and this team will be ok. Again, it's about getting healthy/hot at the end of the year but man it sucks balls seeing him struggle out there. I watched the Sunday night game and as Peyton Manning walked through the tunnel to the game it was the first time I thought this to myself, "Peyton Manning, right now, is unequivocally, unquestionably better than Tom Brady." He's playing amazing. I don't want to steal any thunder. Peyton Manning talk is needed for another blog, but he's kicking Brady square in the teeth if we are talking 2009 performance.

Also part of me is happy to see McDaniels do well. I like seeing the Belichick umbrella succeed and I like seeing Jay Cutler look like what he is - a giant butt hole. I was listening to WEEI this morning and I guess McDaniels told Cutler "With this offense I can make a high school QB into an All-Pro." Matt Cassell - Check... Kyle Orton - Check

Jay Cutler - Eff you.

2. I won't bore you with fantasy football talk so my thoughts on to three & four..

3. & 4. I'm really not surprised the Red Sox lost this series. I did think they'd win game 3 and even game 4 but I wasn't feeling them this year. What gets me is you listen to WEEI and everyone just talks like these players will turn a dial and be fine for the postseason. Beckett wasn't throwing like a top of the rotation guy, the lineup was so prone to cold stretches, Ortiz can't be relied on anymore, and Papelbon has been a heart attack all year. What does 2003 have to do with now? What does last year have to do with now? Ortiz can't hit a fastball anymore, this lineup doesn't hold a candle to the 2003-2007 juggernauts. This Angels team was a lot better than the past few.

The other thing is when they lost, blew the game, I really wasn't that phased. Had a loss like this occurred pre 2004... my gahd, you'd be peeling me off the floor still. All that baggage really did wear away after 2004 and 2007.

As for the Yankees, as much as I'd like to have seen a Sox - Yankees ALCS, let's be real... The Yankees would have won this series in 5 or 6 games. They took 9 of the final 10 vs the Red Sox and in the last 3/4's of the year were easily the best team in baseball.

I will say though that the Angels - Yankees is much more of a toss up. I'd still probably say Yanks in 6 but they've had a tough time w/ LAA of A seemingly for the past 265 yrs.

My next blog should be really sweet, I don't want to give much away but I'm just waiting on a few more things before putting it together... stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with ya, the Pats loss is squarely on the shoulders of #12.

    I was listening to the Sports Hub after the game yesterday (I rarely listen sports talk cuz its ilke listening to a married couple squabble) and they wanted to pin it on the defense. "A good defense should hold a lead on the road." While this may be true, this is Brady's team, and he was shut out in the second half.

    There is really no way you pin this on the D. Yes, they need to play better, but allowing 20 points isn't awful. Getting shut out offensively in the second half is, and there is no way Brady gets a pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sox deserved to lose the series to the angels because they didn't have enough offense in the first two games. papelbon is getting too much heat in the press for losing the last game when it really just comes down to the hitters not getting it done. yanks will probably win but man those angels fans are wild - wasn't expecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fantasy football "Eh" has been upgraded to decent after Gumby got boned last night by Ted Ginn & Bart Scott

    ReplyDelete