Monday, November 16, 2009

Nipped in the balls again....

Man that Pats-Colts game was the 2006 AFC Championship game all over again. Now I'm not going to take the approach that going for it on 4th down was the reason for this loss. You can go ahead and read some dingleberry douchy writer like Pete Prisco or Ron Borges for that. Admittedly I thought at first that it was really dumb but I'm going to defend that decision cuz there were about 45 other things that I feel are more to blame.

Plus, the Colts with a timeout and 2:00 mins were probably going to march up the field and score anyways. I do believe that.

First off, how many coaches do you see punt the ball on 4th and 6 at the opponents 38 down 7 in the 4th quarter like the following will actually happen:

1. The punt won't go into the end zone.
2. The defense will stop them.
3. When you do get the ball back you will have this good of a chance and enough time to go get a TD.

Look at Andy Reid last week kicking a MEANINGLESS field goal against the Cowboys then never getting the ball back. If I have a coach, I want one with some balls. I'm still not completely sold per say but I'll go into the fox hole with someone like BB over Andy Reid any day.

Here are some of the stupid things though:

1. Wasting timeouts. This always kills me, why do teams take a 2nd half timeout over a 5 yard delay of game penalty? Dude what's 5 yards in the 3rd quarter opposed to an EFFING TIME OUT!??? Then they call 2 timeouts during that last drive. It was sloppy. Coaches should have a plan in mind and definitely need to hold onto timeouts. I'm not sure that the Faulk catch would have been overturned but it was worth challenging. BB fucked this up big time. The ref who made the call saw Faulk's back and therefore couldn't accurately see where he caught the ball, but due to dickless idiocy we'll never know.

2. If BB knows damn well in his mind that this if 4 down territory then why not run on 3rd and 2? Here you force the Colts to use a timeout and you probably at worst have no gain. If the Colts *don't* use a timeout then you run the Faulk play and the booth is able to review since you are under 2 mins.

3. Ok so you went for it and bleeped up. On the 2nd play of the ensuing drive, Joseph Addai ran right through the middle and it seemed most Patriots were ok just letting him score. However Brandon Merriweather STUPIDLY tackled him at the 4. This is the only play that made me yell out loud. I yelled "aww let him score!!!!" The Patriots would have had 1:15 left down by 1 with no timeouts. I will take my chances!!!! Now you may say that Addai coulda pulled a Pocket Hercules and kneeled at the 1, but let's remember... the Jags were down 1. It would have been BALLSY to knee at the 1 still needing a TD. Merriweather... DUMB!!!!!!

4. You have a play you like, great. You completed the pass, awesome. But for the love of Christ run the friggen route longer!!! Why do you call a play that close to the sticks?? If you need 2 yards then Faulk needs to run his out to the 31 yard line. Then if he bobbles, that dildo ref can spot him at the 30.5 instead of the 31.

I also want to know what is changing with the Colts magically turning it on and the Patriots D completely crumbling time after time in the last 4 mins? Is it really just fatigue??? These are professional athletes. Are they softening up? Are they playing prevent? This is what kills me the most. You KNOW that the Colts are dangerous and that Manning can zip up the field. Keep doing what you are doing. This is one of the reasons you can defend BB. I would bet a lot of money that Manning takes the Colts 70 yards for a TD anyway. That D had 11 guys with forks sticking out of their backs.

This game felt just like that Bills-Pats game on the opening Monday night. I thought to myself, if Indy can score before the 2 minute warning without using timeouts they have a very good chance. Then you just need a 3 and out to give yourself a chance.

I hear some Pats fans saying, 'Hey don't worry we'll beat the Colts if we play in the playoffs.' Do you really believe that though? You think that Manning & co. won't put up 30 some odd points again? I don't feel very confident. Sure the Pats played 56 solid minutes but I'm not sure I trust the D to play that well through 56 minutes again. I still believe Indy will vag out in the playoffs as that is what they always do and will continue to do. I just think it will be at the hands of the Steelers or Chargers and not the Patriots.

Also do we already forget that BB went for a 4th and 1 at his own 25 versus the Falcons? We just like to say "he's the tits" when it works and "he's a douche" when it doesn't. It's not exactly hard to do AFTER you know the conclusion.

So I can applaud BB for having a sack, however, he effed this up by pissing away timeouts, running two passes in a row when he knew he was gonna go for it on 4th down, not telling his players to allow a score in that kind of situation, and running the 4th down play a yard shy for Faulk.

But if you don't feel the same then go read the articles by those turds Borges & Prisco.

5 comments:

  1. I can't say I entirely agree, man. I mean of course I agree with the things you said, but they by no means outweigh the decision to go for it on fourth down in that situation.

    Like you, I can definitely appreciate a head coach with cajones. I want my team to play to win, not to play to not lose. A lot of coaches around the league don't have the balls to make some of the calls that BB makes, and for that I applaud him. It's one of the reasons that makes him great, because he has confidence in his team, as well as confidence in his decision-making/preparation process.

    Now I definitely wasn't a fan of the call in the Falcons game to go for it on fourth on the Patriots 24, but you are definitely right that nay sayers are silenced when the outcome is the one you want. But it doesn't mean that I still didn't like it.

    For comparison's sake though, these two situation were very much different. Against the Falcons, the Patriots were up 16-10 in the third quarter. Keyword: thirdquarter; another keyword: Falcons. The play wasn't going to decide the fate of the game, because regardless of the outcome there was still time for the Pats to respond. Also, we're talking about a Falcons team who had struggled to put up points. That being said though, and outcome aside, I hated the move. Let's not be stupid here; anywhere near mid-field and I like that move in THAT situation.

    In the Colts game, however, we're talking about a 4th and 2 with just over 2 minutes to go. Manning had been showing some life and had been rolling the Pats D. You know that this play is going to the decide the game. Pats get it and win, Pats don't and lose.

    Like I said before, I like my teams to play to win, but this is just stupid. Anything can go wrong on any given play (as we clearly saw) and if you fail you lose. If you kick the ball you are giving yourself a fighting chance, as you are making Manning move the ball about 70 yards as opposed to 30. Of course we've all seen Manning run the 2 minute drill to perfection, but make him do it again. The Pats had forced 7 punts (yeah) and 2 picks at that point, one of which was the drive before last, when Manning was "hot". Make him win the game, don't just give it to him because a pop warner team could move the ball 30 yards with that much time left and a timeout.

    But I think we can agree on one thing: this is all on BB. Using a timeout in the 3rd quarter for no reason, using one after a change of possession, and then wasting one to think about the biggest play of the game, making it clear that it hadn't been planned out at all.

    Also, on that Addai 13 yard run that Meriweather made the ill-advised tackle, it was obvious that the players hadn't been coached up. Some guys were going for the tackle once he got through the second level, while others were holding back. It's gotta be made clear of what to do in that situation.

    This is definitely a situation where you can tell who has drank a liiiittle much of the BB kool-aid, because if some pube like Mangini or Jauron make this same call, we're talking about how they were horrificly murdered after the game. I can't talk though because I have certainly had my fair share of BB's mystery punch and staunchly support him 99.999% of the time.

    Anyways...Let's fuck up the JETS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't blame bb. pats defense and pats offensive line really hurt us at the end of the game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Nick Kaczur played the role of Matt Light "the Patriot turnstyle."

    And Ponch I do ask myself this question which I guess could justify whether it was right/wrong.... "Would I want my coach to do this in a playoff game?"

    I don't see how the answer could be anything but fuck no lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. but as Collinsworth reminded us 76 times, Voelmer played really well... I would like to lead the charge to run Matt Light out of town for good... who can provide the pitchforks and torches??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yep, tar and feather that fat bastard!

    Mathis made Kaczur his little bitch, while Vollmer held Freeney STATLESS.

    ReplyDelete